I hope you all had a fabulous love filled weekend, I know I did! I am so blessed to have such a sweet, supportive, funny, and handsome hubby who has been my valentine for the last seven years! 🙂 It’s crazy that it’s been that long already but I also can’t remember what it was like before he was in my life. He’s my best friend, my partner in crime and the love of my life and I don’t take it for granted that I get to spend my life with him and I try daily to make sure that he knows it. I hope you do the same with all the special people in your life! I mean it!!
Okay okay, moving past the lovey dovey; I’m sharing my version of an old Martin family recipe with you all tonight! My mom has made us taco salad for quick family dinners, BBQs, potlucks, picnics, you get there picture, my whole life and once I got married I wanted to continue the tradition but with my own spin. I make it a little differently every time depending on what I have around the kitchen, adding in green pepper or black beans or green chilies into the mix. That’s the great thing about salad, you really can’t go wrong! Just go with your taste buds and it will turn out delicious every time! I promise! 🙂
Here’s what you need!
- 1 package Morning Star grillers crumbles or ground beef
- 2 16oz cans kidney beans
- half a yellow onion chopped
- half a head of ice berg lettuce
- 1/2 cup mexican cheese
- 2-3 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 8oz can diced green chilies
- 1 package taco season (or make your own with the recipe below)
- 2-3 handfuls of tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 container pico de gallo with or without corn
- western dressing
- top with sliced avocado if desired (hint: you desire)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of one lime
- a splash of olive oil
- a cup or so of brown rice, cooked
Taco Seasoning Ingredient: (feel free to add 1/2 tsp salt and +/- the spice level)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
Prep time: 1o minutes
Cook Time: about 50 minutes (with rice time)
- Cook brown rice according to instructions on the bag.
- Add onion, green chilies, corn and a splash of olive oil to a skillet and cook until onions are clear and fragrant.
- Mix in kidney beans, taco seasoning and grillers until the beans are hot and the grillers are cooked threw. Put skillet in the refrigerator and cool off a little bit before mixing into salad.
- While the “meat” mixture is cooling, add the chopped lettuce to a large bowl.
- When the rice is done, add the cilantro and lime juice and mix it through out.
- Once the rice and the “meat” mixture have cooled, add them both on top of the lettuce.
- Then top with pico de gallo, tomatoes, cheese and the crushed chips. Toss until well mixed.
- Serve topped with sliced avocado and western dressing.
We love this taco salad. Seriously. The hubs was so pumped when I told him that’s what I was making. We can eat this salad for a few dinners and a couple lunches for me and not get sick of it. So freaking good. Sweet and tangy and full of Mexican flavor. Leave out the rice if you are short on time, it will still be just as delish. This is the perfect week day dinner when you don’t have a lot of time and it won’t disappoint! If you try it let me know!!
Now I’m off to drink some wine and watch the Bachelor! Have a wonderful night and thanks for stopping by!
“Never love anybody that treats you like your ordinary.”